Coronavirus Update & FAQ's - June 5th

We trust you are well and staying safe! 

We wanted to take a moment to walk you through our company’s COVID-19 ongoing approach to date and more information about the way we will be continuing to work in the coming weeks.

Our priority is ensuring the health, safety, and wellbeing of our staff and customers. 

Whilst we have maintained a strong staff presence and the majority of our employees continue to work from home, we continue to achieve the high level of customer service our customers have come to expect.

In order to support our customers at this time we have created the following FAQ’s. These are the most common questions we are being asked by customers however if you cannot find the answer you are looking for please contact our main switchboard on 0333 313 1111. 



Q: I am struggling financially due to the coronavirus outbreak, am I able to reduce or change my cover?

A: Yes, we have worked with our main insurance partners to obtain favourable rates for reductions and changes in cover, whether it be the addition of fast food delivery cover to your taxi policy or a reduction to social, domestic and pleasure usage on your motor trade policy, please contact us to explore the various options available.

Q: I pay my premium monthly and am struggling to meet my monthly instalments. Am I entitled to a payment holiday?

A: We understand that it may be difficult to cover your monthly payments if your income has been affected by the coronavirus outbreak. Please contact us on 01708 729 500 and select option 4 to discuss your options with our dedicated finance team.

Q: I am not using my car. Can I freeze my insurance?

A: Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) legally requires your vehicle to always be insured, otherwise you could be fined up to £5,000 and prosecuted. If you plan to keep your vehicle off the road, you can apply for a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN) with the  DVLA and, once this is complete, you don’t legally need insurance. 

When you want to use your vehicle again, you’ll need to tax and insure it to avoid penalties.

Remember, even if you aren’t using your car, your policy may still provide cover for damage, fire and theft – all of which could still affect your prized assets.

Q: I am volunteering to support the vulnerable, does my policy cover me to deliver food to those in need?

A: Volunteering work is covered as standard on most of our motor policies, therefore delivering essential supplies to the elderly and vulnerable is generally included. We do ask that you contact us however in order to confirm and note your policy accordingly.

Unfortunately, we can’t extend cover if you are being paid to deliver either food, or parcels, as part of your job whilst driving your vehicle. This is classed as Hire and Reward and is not covered under your policy as standard. We may be able to extend cover to include this so please contact us to enquire.

Q: Is my breakdown cover still operative on essential journeys?

A: Yes, if you have breakdown cover, you’re still covered for breakdowns, but our providers are practicing social distancing.

Q: Is my insurance affected whilst MOT’s have been delayed?

A: Your insurance isn’t affected if you don’t have a valid MOT. However, your vehicle should still be roadworthy during this time and you should get an MOT as soon as possible; if you are able to book one you should do and using the 6 month hiatus from the government does not serve as a license to continue to use a vehicle you know to be suffering problems that would make it roadworthy or unsafe for wither yourself, your passengers or other road users. Please use your judgement and do not seek to use this measure to drive an unsafe motor.

If your vehicle isn’t roadworthy, you continue to drive it and there’s clear evidence this directly caused a claim, it may affect the outcome of any payments made. 

Q: I’ve cancelled my policy due to coronavirus. Can I restart my policy with you at my current rate once this is over?

A: We cannot guarantee that your premium will be the same as it was when you took out or renewed your original policy. Our premiums are reviewed regularly to ensure they are competitive so the best way to find out is to get a quote with us.

Q: I’m self-isolating and cannot tax my vehicle online. What should I do?

A: You can call the DVLA vehicle tax service on 0300 123 3221. Your insurance isn’t affected by your road tax validity, but you legally must tax your vehicle to avoid a fine of up to £1,000.

Q: If I have an accident, will I be able to have my car repaired or replaced?

A: Our main priority is to make sure our customers can continue to have their claims handled and paid in this challenging environment. Given the disruptions to international transport and manufacturing because of coronavirus, it may take longer to get the necessary parts to repair your car.

Q: Can anyone use my vehicle at this time if I am self-isolating?

If they’re a named driver, then yes they are insured. If not, you can of course add them, but this may increase your premium and other fees may apply. Alternatively, we may be able to add them on a temporary basis on your vehicle, though fees and an additional premium may also apply.

Anyone with a 'driving other cars' extension on their policy could legally drive your vehicle, but we cannot provide further guidance on this since they will need to check with their insurer, or the terms of their policy. 

Q: Can I reduce my annual mileage?

A: Yes, but there is usually no return premium since our most common policies (taxi, motor trade, commercial vehicle and fleet policies) are not fundamentally rated on mileage covered.

Other news

Explore our essential guide to attaining business insurance for your electric vehicle, including benefits, how to choose and what happens if someone trips over your charging cable.

Explore our essential guide for taxi drivers on handling accidents, ensuring safety, legal steps, and claim processes for a smooth recovery.