Why Might I Need Trade Plates? 

Trade licence plates can save you time and money as you will not need to register and tax every vehicle which is temporarily in your possession, allowing you to carry out your business without disruption.  

Without a trade plate, you will have to resort to taxing and registering every vehicle individually before you can take them on public roads. Trade plates allow you to circumvent an otherwise lengthy process of registering and taxing every single vehicle which is in your temporary possession. 

It is important to note that you need trade plate insurance before you can legally drive a car with trade plates on public roads. 

Who is Tradex’s Trade Plate Insurance Suitable for?  

It is important to note that trade plates do not cover insurance in and of themselves. If you are looking for quality trade plate vehicle delivery insurance, look no further. Our trade plate insurance is ideal for delivery drivers who collect and deliver vehicles and for those who have vehicles in their temporary possession for purposes such as testing, demonstrating and trialling.  

Through choosing our trade plate insurance, you can get a motor trade insurance policy which offers the coverage needed to allow your business to operate smoothly. You can register all the trade plates you own, which will mean that vehicles bearing your trade plates will be covered in the event of an accident.

What do you get?

Tradex’s car delivery insurance can be tailored to your bespoke needs. As part of a motor trade insurance policy, we can cover all of your buying / selling, delivery and storage risks, with your trade plates considered a part of your policy.  

Trade plate numbers must be disclosed to us for entry on the MID, and cover on these excludes social, domestic and pleasure use.  Trade plate insurance covers you for the movement of non-registered and taxed vehicles. 

If you require social, domestic and pleasure use, we can provide this on your permanently owned vehicles. We can also include office, premises and storage cover as part of a comprehensive package. 

We can arrange Public and Employers' Liability insurance, and can provide cover even if it is a new venture. 

  • Full Road Risks delivery by Transporter, Trailer or Trade plate.
  • Spouse and family can be included.
  • Storage of vehicles, Freight forwarding or dovetailing your liabilities as a sub-contractor of a National Recovery organisation.
  • Engineering Inspection and Breakdown.
  • Own vehicle, fleet and speciality lifting gear.
  • UK/Europe or as cargo worldwide.
  • Bonus Booster available. Offers those with no bonus a six month policy to accrue a year’s no claims bonus and subsequently use this with us on a full term policy.

If you would like to speak with us about our trade plate insurance options, please give us a call at our head office on 0333 313 1111. 

If you are looking for a quote, just click our ‘Get Quote’ button or call on 01708 982661. 


How Do I Get Trade Plates? 

To get trade plates, you will need to have a trade licence from the DVLA. You can apply for a trade licence if you are a motor trader or a vehicle tester. This includes: 

  • Dealers and manufacturers  

  • Those who repair vehicles 

  • Valets and accessory fitters  

  • Those who test other people’s vehicles on public roads 

It is possible to apply for your first set of trade plates when you apply for your trade licence.  

How Much Do Trade Plates Cost? 

You must apply for a trade licence which lasts a minimum of six months. Trade licences expire on the 30th June or 31st December. Renewals of licences can be for six months or twelve months. 

At the time of writing, a 12-month licence will cost £170, which is the rate of duty for all vehicles. You can find out the current fees on this gov.uk page

What are the Rules on Trade Plates for Motor Trade Deliveries? 

Trade plates must only be used for the specific business purposes which they were issued for. Also, brand new or second-hand vehicles which are already registered to you must be taxed and cannot legally bear trade plates.  

You cannot keep a vehicle on a road when not in use, except in certain emergency situations. Trade plates cannot be used on unroadworthy vehicles either.